« Home | Blink » 

December 29, 2005 

Excel

I have been collecting KMLs from throughout the Google Earth community BBS. I shall post a combined KML with atleast 500 placemarks shortly. There's a lot of inconsistency and uncategorization in them to clean up.

The cleaning up in GE is a headache as you can't even select multiple placemarks at a time. So I started opening up the KMLs as text in EditPad, stripping off the extra formatting, importing to Excel and doing mass editing there. Finally, it's just a copy-paste to a text file which I then save as a KML.


There are already lots of categories, like schools, hospitals, parks, dinning areas etc. But I shall be taking them further by adding descriptions, wiki links (if they exist), phone nos, web links, ATM networks, bank branches, etc.. Takes only an hour or so to customise the excel file and a few more to sort them out. So hold on to your mice till you see what's in store for the future.